These are the following things that we suggest to be included in your checklist
30 days before the moving day:
- Contact the company to be able to know the availability of our staff on your intended date. Summer time is a busy time and if you would like to move during this time, please call more than a month in advance.
- Contact the post office to have mails forwarded and a notification of a change of address.
- Be able to notify the healthcare professionals that are involved in your care so they can provide other resources if they know anyone in the area that you are moving to.
- Purchase moving supplies such as boxes or bubble wraps, packing tape, etc.
- Check if you have items that can be donated.
- If you live in a building, inform the building manager about your moving day to secure an elevator and reservation of the loading dock for the truck. This is both for the previous home and the future home,
- Start packing early on. It would be wise to label the boxes according to which rooms they will be going to for efficiency.
14 Days before Moving Day
- Send a notification to the DMV
- Send a notification to the utility companies such as your phone lines, your mobile phones, electricity, gas, cable TV subscription, internet service provider, water, home securities, etc.
- Start disassembling larger items like swing sets, pool tables, among many others.
- Arrange parking permits. When possible, the company can assist with this.
- If there are pets or toddlers, a babysitter might be needed. For the pets, there are boarding services available.
- You should be able to allocate ample time to prepare for the move and to be available on the moving day itself
7 Days before the Moving day
- It is best to confirm the date and time with the moving company. With us, the coordinator will contact you approximately 2 to 3 days before the date of move to review everything.
- If there is a need to contact you while en route, make sure that a new contact number has been provided to us in case of a change in phone numbers.
- Let your family and friends know about your new address.
- If you have any print subscriptions, let them know about your change in address.
- If you have drawers or cabinets to move make sure these are empty and in the case of loose parts, remove them entirely or notify the packing staff.
24 hours before the moving day
- Separate the boxes that are fragile into one area of the house and inform the movers about it,
- Also mark off furniture that are fragile and ensure that the movers are informed about this as well.
- Separate the items that are not to be moved and again, inform the movers about this.
- Items that are of importance such as passports, cash, keys of the car or house, checkbook, credit or debit cards, and prescription medications should travel with the clients and not the movers.
- Ensure that mobile phones have full batteries and that the phones on the new home are all working properly.
- Refrigerators or freezers such be defrosted, dried, and washed.
- If moving machines, such as lawn mowers and motorcycles, ensure that they have been emptied of gas or oil.
- Propane tanks should be disconnected from grills. These items are non-transferable on our trucks but we will assist in loading it into your own vehicle if necessary.